Monday, March 21, 2011

Teams averse to playing Eng - Bell




Their unpredictability and their knack of snatching victory from the jaws of defeat makes Eng one of the most dangerous sides in the world, according to Ian Bell.

Eng beat mighty SA, but lost to IRE and BD. When WI were going strong 222/6 ( needing 244 for victory ), Eng took three wickets for three runs and turned around the match !

Their rivals avoid facing Eng now. They are the T20 World Champions and they beat Australia Down Under in the Ashes series.

"In the last 12-18 months, when we've had matches we've got to win we've come out well," Eng's No 4 said. "I'm sure there are a lot of teams around that don't really want to play England - because they don't quite know what they're going to get at the minute."

It is true that Eng had not played upto their full potential, but then that will be be preserved for the knockout stages.

"If we win all three matches, we'll be able to look back on one of the best (northern hemisphere) winters of all time," the formidable batsman said. "Three games, and we can win a World Cup."It's been pretty incredible, tiring and a little bit frustrating that we haven't quite put it all together. We've played six games here and still haven't got it all right at the same time."

They are still hungry after success, after defeating formidable Australia !

Matt Prior has been promoted as opener, after the exit of Piertersen. Many feel that Bell should open with Strauss.

Bell said: "One-day cricket is a great place to go up at the top of the order, with the field up. It's a good place to go out and bat, so I'd be really desperate to do that. But if I had to stay at four and keep to my role for the team, I'm happy to do that as well."

He has scored two fifties in this WC. "I feel in great touch. But it's been hard work scrapping for runs coming in in the middle when it's been turning a lot. My role has been to play spin well, and it hasn't quite happened. But I still feel very confident about my game. I don't want to die wondering at this stage of the tournament. I want to be as positive as possible."

No comments: