Thursday, December 8, 2011

The clone overtakes the original




On Feb 24, 2010, history was made as Sachin became the first player to score a double century in ODIs. On Dec 8, 2011, that record was overhauled in a stunning manner by his clone ! It just took 260 ODIs to eclipse that record and the record breaker was his clone !

It is said that Sehwag modelled himself on the lines of Sachin. He was the clone and Sachin the original. And now the clone has surpassed the original.

When he scored 219 yesterday off 149 balls with 25 fours and seven sixes, he had overtaken the world record set by the original, Sachin ! His is the fastest double century in ODI ( off 140 balls ) and the highest score in ODI !

What a way to prove his critics wrong !

"I never expected to score a double hundred. While opening the innings, I told Gautam Gambhir that if we can show some patience on this track, we will be in for a big one as the wicket is a good one. The outfield is fantastic and the distance of the boundary is only 50 yards," said the swashbuckling opener, after his epic hundred.

After the batting powerplay, he felt he can cross the 200 mark.

"It was only after the batting powerplay started, I felt that I could reach double hundred. Also when Sammy dropped me (at 170), I knew that God was with me," Sehwag stated.

He thanked his family and those who supported him.

"I want to thank my family and fans. I know people expected me to score a double century. Today when I wanted to hit a six, I just did that."

He was determined to expiate for the low scores in the first three ODIs.

"I have said this earlier also that the top-order needs to contribute. It was a wicket where one could score big runs if he stayed around for 30 overs."

Success has taken a toll of Sehwage "Obviously, I am very tired. I am an old man now and my back gets stiff. So I need to take an ice bath."

Except for a catch which he offered Sammy at 170, his innings was blemishless. Sehwag is the highest scorer for India in Tests and ODIs. He scored 319 against SA in Chennai in 2008, after the 309 against Pak in Multan in 04.

Both double hundreds in ODIs are by Indians, by Sachin and Sehwag. India won the series 3-1 and what a way to win ! Ramadin threw away a possible hundred, as he swept Raina to be caught for 96 , but then none of the other Carribean batsmen put up any resistance. Chasing 419, the WIs were all out for 265.

Rahul Sharma had a brilliant debut, taking three wickets in the last balls of the three overs, all of them bowled.


Cricketers hail Sehwag

"If you are a cricket fan, pls switch your tv's on right now & watch a genius bat.. Sehwag destroying the WI.. World record coming.." - Kevin Pieterse in his Twitter Page.

"The double hundred will be a big morale booster for him with the tough Australian tour lined up. You will find the bowling attack, conditions different Down Under. This double ton will give him a big confidence for sure ahead of the Australia tour. This is a great achievement and I congratulate Sehwag for the amazing feat. He has captained the Indian side on and off for a short while and I believe he could make up as a good captain. He is a gambler, a player who loves to take risks. If he keeps getting opportunity as a captain, he will come up with many such milestones," - Sourav Ganguly.

"I am very happy for Sehwag. He is one of the greatest players I have ever seen. He missed his double century (175) during the World Cup game against Bangladesh at Mirpur. But on Thursday he has achieved the feat which I would like to describe as incredible," - Srikanth, Chairman of Selectors, India.

"I have always remained a great fan of Sachin Tendulkar and when he scored the double hundred against South Africa, one name that crossed my mind was Sehwag. In my view, other player who could have scored double ton was Sri Lankan opener Sanath Jayasuriya because he also plays an attacking brand of cricket.

"Both Sehwag and Jayasuriya have the talent and ability to score a double hundred and can only touch the mark. I would like to extend my congratulations to all Indians for Sehwag scoring a double hundred"- Abdul Qadir.

"It was long overdue. I always used to tell him whenever he stepped on the field that this time you have to score a double hundred. It was very satisfying finally watching Viru score 200 runs with such strokeful display. He has always played attacking game and that helped him achieve the milestone.

"I hope Viru will be back to his usual self after this inning. My congratulation to him - Coach, A N Sharma.

"Once Sehwag gets going, it's very difficult to stop him. I am delighted and congratulations to him." - Abbas Ali Baig.

"I say it again! I never saw sir Viv (Vivian Richards) bat but I have seen Sehwag bat! What a player... 219 in a one day game is next to impossible!" - Yuvraj Singh on Twitter.

Cheers! congratulations!! way to go buddy!" - Zaheer Khan

Incidentally, 418/5 is India's highest total in ODIs and the two double centuries in ODIs were achieved all in the state of Madhya Pradesh, at venues within 500 kms !

No comments: